Thursday, December 18, 2008

Tired Debates, Phrases, and Whatever I've Thought Of.

As you've noticed, there's sadly not as much writing in the past few days from myself because, well, it's the holidays and everything seems to completely shut down as far as news goes. My favorite sport of football (college and pro) is busy dashing my dreams and running itself out of town after a few more weeks, all of the fascinating music from 2008 has already been released, and all of the great awards-season fare is either getting released in limited release or on Christmas Day, so it's not like I can find a way to watch said movies without using the ole' hitchhiker's thumb.

So instead, I'll find another way to bring those three great things into something else, and that's to bring up what I'm tired of hearing from the media (and I guess people, too, but mostly the media).

- Stop hating the idea of "playoffs system" people hating the idea of the BCS in college football.

Over the past few years, everyone and their mother has preached about the good of a playoff system in college football. It would make controversy mostly impossible, because at least unbeaten mid-majors would prove if they're actually good or not, and all that jazz. So it's an awesome system that totally makes sense. It makes so much sense that every year when a team is left out in the cold, all college pundits talk about is the playoff system. Which naturally annoys people tired of hearing about playoffs as much as they tire of hearing the name Tim Tebow during every ESPN college football show ever. Which gets the topic off of the table, and leaves out the point that the BCS isn't working and that my favorite sport of college football has a worse system than my not so favorite sport of college basketball, which still sways me to watch during Final Four time because they have an awesome playoff system that's easy to fill out in a bracket.

- When a famous person goes crazy or fails once, don't immediately herald their next project as their mega comeback.


Obviously, we saw this in 2008 with Britney Spears' Circus, which came out like a year after her last record and yet everyone heralded Circus as the comeback record. And guess what? Both records are about the same in quality. (As in, it's well-made dispensable pop.) And guess what? Both sold close to a half a million in one week, which is about the same. Mmmm, isn't media hype crazy?

- Is "crunk" really a relevant phrase to anyone, regardless of what they like?

I mean, come on. It really bottomed up in terms of any sort of ironic luster it had probably right after Dave Chappelle portrayed Lil' Jon, and then right after the man purposefully tried to market another "genre" called "hyphy" that sounded about the same, but didn't have a word that was oversaturated by being used by a bunch of kids thinking it's super ironic. When the man himself is tired of the phrase, you know it's pretty played out.


And then there's some other tired things that I'd save for a nice rainy day, but I felt a need to quench any drought of fine material here in this fine blog. I'll probably only be posting if I see one of those awesome awards season-bait movies in the near future, but other than that, you'll just have to miss me.

No comments: